Monday, December 19, 2005

Turkey Day Downunder

In keeping with some proud family holiday traditions, my Thanksgiving post didn't even make it in before Christmas. But better late than never, right?

Well, I finally did it. With more than a little help from my friends I managed to bring Thanksgiving to the NZ. It started on Saturday with pies! Look, it's lattice-topped. I was extremely proud of this baking achievement. The pumpkin pie was also a challenge, since it involved actually hacking apart and boiling a pumpkin-- no Libby's around here-- but it just looked like a pumpkin pie. Booooring!

Sunday I woke up bright and early (11am) and got the 17lb turkey into the oven. Later I regretted not naming it, as I spent most of the day hanging out with it. We were fast friends, apart from when I broke its leg. As Nicky so wisely pointed out though, that was the least of it's problems. Kevin was the first to show up, and his classic Thanksgiving get-up was an inspiration to the rest of the guests. I let him pose with the turkey... he wasn't allowed to actually carve it. Oh no.


I set out some olives along with the other nibbles. My immediate family will appreciate this homage to our Thanksgiving tradition. Sadly, I couldn't find any pickled plums or apricots. Or perhaps not so sadly. Do we still have those jars in the pantry mom? No, you know what, don't answer that.


Like I said, everyone was really impressed with Kevin's fashion sense. I believe this is the inagural picture of my flatmate and neighbors, so from left to right are Dan, Dave, Hamish and Steve. Dan's the flatmate and the other three are neighbors, or as we lovingly refer to them "next door." As in, "Are next door coming to watch the movie?" They kept threatening to have band practice since the actually look like a band for once, but the turkey got the better of their motivation.


Everyone was chatty and happy and getting very very hungry. North Americans in the background and Kiwis upfront here. Turkey on the side.

Leela and Dominique, the American and Canadian, bought some classic Thanksgiving casseroles. The one on the left has pineapple and cheese! We don't even know what to call it, but it was tasty.




Now we get down to ACTUALLY carving the turkey. Damn straight. I sharpened the knife myself, too.


Here's Dan, who had a gig that started at 6am the previous morning but made the effort to roll out of bed and make a cheesecake and the gravy. I'm useless at gravy.


Oooo, look at all that food. And the drums, fallen into disuse in favour of eating.

Eating,

and eating,


and eating,

and eating...................... That was my first helping.



And then the turkey coma.

Happy Holidays one and all!

1 Comments:

At Fri Dec 30, 01:02:00 AM 2005, Blogger RevBLK said...

So, if I have this straight, half a world away on the other side of the globe, you actually spent an entire day exposing innocent Non-Americans to the ritual celebration of the inception of America's Two Century old continuing policy of Systematic Genocide against the Native American Peoples, and you didn't even mock the Brits out of the house for wearing ties which look to have been purchased by overly-concerned British mothers?

I swear to god I will never understand you Texans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home